No peers to query and the host is beyond your firewall (fwd)

From: Richard Stagg <stagg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 14:11:45 +0000 (WAT)

Greetings,

The system: Squid 1.1.17; Linux 2.0.32; 256Mb; 2Gb hard disc.

The problem: Occasionally, the system will suddenly begin reporting
ERR_CANNOT_FETCHes, with the recorded error that:

protoCantFetchObject: FD xx No peers to query and the host is beyond your
firewall.

[I use a different box to check the firewall's still alive - it always
is.]

This continues for a couple of minutes, and then reverts to its normal,
functioning, state. This is a recent bug; the cache in question has run
for months without any problems, and nothing on the box has changed (to my
knowledge) during that time.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Richard Stagg

** Disclaimer: My opinions have nothing to do with CSC. Keep it that way. **
Richard Stagg - Internet Analyst and General Duties Unix Hacker
0118 933 1491 / 01252 383153 / 0378 300720 / stagg@lentil.org / rjs@bae.co.uk