FATAL: Repeated failures to free up disk space

From: Nick O'Brien <N.OBrien@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 14:31:59 +0100 (British Summer Time)

Hi Andreas,

On Mon, 18 May 1998 14:34:28 +0200 (MET DST) Andreas Jung <ajung@sz-sb.de>
wrote:

> After reaching the highwater mark our squid crashed some time later
> with the following messages although there was enough space left
> on the disk:
>
> FATAL: Repeated failures to free up disk space
> Squid Cache (Version 1.NOVM.20): Terminated abnormally.
> CPU Usage: user 3439 sys 4394
> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
> Page faults with physical i/o: 123299
>
> Env. Squid 1.NOVM.20, Solaris 2.5.1

Had exactly the same problem with our cache: Squid v1.NOVM.17 on Digital
Unix 3.2C.

I think (the Squid hackers can correct me on this) what is happening is
that your cache is filling up much faster than Squid can expire enough
objects to clear the space necessary. Squid is therefore throwing a
"wobbly" and crashing.

I suspect what you need to do is to reduce the value of reference_age in
squid.conf and perhaps think about increasing the size of your cache.

        Rgds.,

                Nick.

# Nick O'Brien, Computer Officer "It gives me a headache just to #
# Canterbury Christ Church College think down to your level", Marvin #
# Phone: +44 1227 782468 the Paranoid Android, HHGTTG #
# Email:nick@cant.ac.uk Web:http://www.cant.ac.uk/staff/nick/home.html #