Re: squid gets real big

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 10:57:31 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 21 May 1998, Charles wrote:

> We are running Squid 1.1.21 on an Ultra2 w/Solaris 2.6. The machine has
> 512Mb ram and 256Mb swap.
> Squid seems to keep growing and consuming all ram+swap. When I kill
> squid, all of the vm is freed. Squid is set to 256Mb ram cache and
> 10000mb disk cache.
> Is this behavior normal?

Not exactly (at least, not the "all ... swap" bit); our box is fairly
similarly configured but it doesn't consume all available swap space. The
main difference from your setup is that I've only allocated 128Mb RAM to
the memory hot cache (compared to your 256Mb); I've also used GNU malloc
instead of Solaris' malloc, but Squid ran quite happily for ages with
Solaris' malloc.

Cheers..

dave