Re: Auto-bypassing a parent when parent is down

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 22:31:12 -0600

Dancer writes:

>The problem, Duane, is that in many cases the costs of bandwidth coming
>off proxy servers is much reduced. Therefore, site setups want to
>absolutely forbid squid to fetch directly for ANY reason whatsoever
>_unless_ the parent(s) should go down, not be reachable etc.
>
>inside_firewall fits the first order of business, prevent lots of messy
>and expensive direct traffic, but things go haywire if connectivity to
>your parent(s) is lost.

inside_firewall is still not the right configuration to use.
Firewall means you can not ever make direct connections.

The right way to fix this is for you to tell me when does Squid
make direct connections and the parents are alive?

Determining up/down status of neighbor caches is just guesswork,
and you will always be able to find a situation where Squid
guesses wrong. I think its better to err on the side of caution
and go direct so the user gets the page, rather than return
an error page.

Duane W.