Re: Squid vs. NetCache

From: <jprovo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 06:46:29 -0700 (PDT)

[snip]
> Are they for real or just a lot of hot air? Any Squid gurus are familiar
> with the Harvest Benchmark?
[snip]
> More details at:
> http://www.netapp.com/products/level3/netcache/webcache.html
Any given benchmark can show what you want to show; ever notice that
vendors never choose benchmarks that show their product performing
poorly? :-)

We ran live, side-by-side tests of a netcache box against one of our squid
servers (that was, incidentally, also handling other services) with both
sharing the service behind a cisco localdirector. Log analysis via
calamari (de facto cache log analysis standard, as far as I'm concerned)
showed the netcache losing. I'll ask my colleagues who ran the test to
comment further.

Joe Provo

--
Joe Provo, Network Architect                         508.229.8400 x3006
Network Operations Center                            Fax   508.229.2375