Re: Squid vs. NetCache

From: Bruce Campbell <bc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 13:03:33 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Stewart Forster wrote:

> > Hmmm, speed the cache up by giving it more to do... dunno about that ;)
> But it works!

(just had this weird idea of several caches playing some sort of card game
around a campfire just to give idle hands something to do... too much
coffee again ;) )

> The other quick fix alternative is to change the MAX_POLL_TIME
> definition in comm.c from 50 down to say 10. This burns a little more CPU
> by making it poll the async threads 5 times faster (under low loads). This
> should be good for about 400 KB/sec (single large web object throughput)
> with the sort of hardware most people use. In fact, your minimum CPU usage
> will go up from .01% to .05% (measured on Solaris 2.5.1 167 MHz CPU). If
> that doesn't bother you (as I imagine it wouldn't) then this change might
> be worthwhile if you want even faster low-load squid-async performance.

Hmmm... we've got a smallish cluster of PII266s here.. however wouldn't
the icp queries... d'uh! cache-digests blah... *wanders off to tinker*

--==--
Bruce.

K'nurdic Wrangler
     Hub Communications.