Re: squid as relay, or plug-gw

From: Michael Samuel <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 14:31:49 +1000 (EST)

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

> It's true that all I want is a relay for the CGI, but as you mentioned
> in another email, plug-gw runs off of inetd and would not be good for
> high traffic.

Umm... It would be a helluva lot faster than squid, if all you are
accessing is CGI scipts.

Try looking at
ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/pub/software/ucspi-tcp-0.80.tar.gz if inetd is
too slow for you.

> Then for high traffic, wouldn't squid function perfectly for what I need?

Yes, but with 10 times the CPU power, 100 times the RAM, and 1000 times
the hard disk space.

Squid is better used if you have lots of people accessing the entire web,
as it caches most objects (cgi programs being on of the few that Squid
doesn't cache) and saves you bandwidth, and speed.

Michael Samuel,

Surf-Net City - Internet Cafe and Internet Service Providers
Phone: +61 3 9593-9977
E-Mail: <michael@surfdirect.com.au>
WWW: http://www.surfnetcity.com.au/~michael/