Re: squid as relay, or plug-gw

From: Michael Samuel <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 16:41:22 +1000 (EST)

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:

> I'm taking a look at tcpserver. Now my big question is... can it function
> as a relay and if so how do I redirect the connections on the relay?

I assume that's what plug-gw does. Sorry, I haven't tried it before, as I
run an ISP setup, not a firewall setup. Personally, (as somebody who's
just started tinkering with socket() and freinds) I'd try to write a
program that basicly finds out where the packets are going, and connects
to that server, then literally acts as a simple transparent proxy between
the connections.

But, then again, that's basicly what IP masquerading does, except only for
services that I run the daemon on, and it won't work for ftp, irc, ping...

Michael Samuel,

Surf-Net City - Internet Cafe and Internet Service Providers
Phone: +61 3 9593-9977
E-Mail: <michael@surfdirect.com.au>
WWW: http://www.surfnetcity.com.au/~michael/