Re: 1.2 beta21 patch 1 &2 tcp_miss/304

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 10:02:35 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Kamiski Nicolas wrote:

> In my access.log i have TCP_MISS/304 ?
> I'm not an expert but it sound "bizzare".
> If I miss the object => Object not in cache.
> Http code 304 => not modified.
>
> I'm sure there is something I miss, but what ?

Client may have the object cached. Client sends an IMS request through Squid.
Squid does not have an object and forwards the request to the origin server.
Server replies with 304 (Not Modified). Thus, you have a cache MISS (reply
comes from the origin server, not from the cache) _and_ the reply is a 304
message.

Alex.