Report: WWW Caching Workshop

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 05:41:28 +0200

As you probably have noticed I am back from the WWW Caching workshop
that was held in Manchester UK 15-17 June.

In my opinion the workshop was a big success. It was the first WWW
Caching workshop I have had the privilegie to attend, and I have learned
a lot from it.

There was several interesing papers presented, some of which is of
general interest to squid users

31. Cache Digests, Alex Russkov, Duane Wessels, NLANR
A new peering method that may replace ICP once Squid 1.2 gets deployed

1. NetCache Architecture and Deployment, Peter Danzig, Network Appliance
While the title implies that this paper discuss NetCache, much of the
size reasoning can be applied to Squid as well with some minor
adjustments of the figures.

20. Long Term Viability of Large Scale Caches, Paul Gauthier et al.
Inktomi Corporation.
A prediction of the caching in the future 2002 based on the past
evolution of networking and computing hardware & software.

All submitted papers are available from
http://wwwcache.ja.net/events/workshop/papers.html and all details on
the workshop is available from http://wwwcache.ja.net/events/workshop/
as announced before.

And lot of other WWW caching related papers was presented. I recommend
that everybody with some interest in WWW caching take a look at the
papers.

On the flight to the Manchester I got (or restated) a idea for a new
cache hierarchy model that may help Squid to scale on the number of
requests/second and to improve reliability while maintaining a good hit
ratio. The actual implementation is my next quest in Squid 1.2beta.

While in Mancheser I got the oportunity to meet a number of interesting
people and discuss various ideas, not to mention that it was the first
time I actually met Duane Wessels (I have hacked in Cached/Squid for
approx 2 1/2 years now, and have not even spoken to Duane before I met
him on the workshop).

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker