Re: Squid 1.2 eating CPU time

From: Bill Wichers <billw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 23:34:43 -0400 (EDT)

I am running Squid 1.2.beta22+ICMP+cache digests

My problem isn't with loading. Squid as usual is normally not taking
enough CPU to even show up in top, and only takes up to a few % or so
while handling connections. This is what I expect to see *all* the time.
The trouble is that after a few days of running (no magic number as far as
I can tell) Squid starts to use 99.9% CPU and just stay at that level
until I restart it. During this time Squid is running millions of select()
calls according to cachemgr, although these calls seem to be very fast
(cachemgr reports the time spent to be about 0.4 mS or so per call). It
looks to me like Squid is getting stuck in a loop somewhere, but I don't
know the code anywhere near well enough to go hunting for a bug.

Another message later on says that this problem is a bug in beta22 that is
caused by a queued ICP packet never being sent.

        -Bill