Busy caches on Linux ???

From: Andrew Cormack <Cormack@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 09:08:42 +0100 (BST)

We currently run a single site cache on a DEC Alpha box, handling just
over 500K TCP requests a day. I'm now considering upgrading it to a
multi-cache setup in the interests of fault-tolerance, and wondered
whether Intel hardware running Linux would be up to the job ? Although
I plan to replace one cache with two, I feel I should plan for at least a
doubling of the number of connections, so I'd want each of the Linux
caches to be capable of handling 500K requests a day. If you are already
running a Linux squid cache of similar (or larger!) size to this, I'd be
very grateful for any information on what sort of hardware you are using

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

       | Andrew Cormack               | email: cormack@cardiff.ac.uk     |
       | Information Systems Support, | snail: 40/41 Park Place, Cardiff |
       |    postmaster and webmaster  |        CF1 3BB                   |
       | University of Wales, Cardiff |                                  |
       | Web page and PGP key: http://www.cf.ac.uk/People/cormack.html   |