Reloading a password file

From: Sartorelli, Kevin <SarKev@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 14:40:30 +1200

I am using the authentication with Squid 1.1.22 using the line:
        proxy_auth /var/spool/httpd/security/passwd
in the squid.conf file. This is working great.

The problem I have is that I am using Apache to allow users (and
administrators) to change passwords in this file. Again, that works. What
doesn't work, is that it takes Squid a long time to realize that the
password file has changed and to reload it.

Is there a way of getting Squid to reload this file when it has changed? I
did look at issuing a 'squid -k reconfigure', but this seems to clear
current connections before reloading the configuration files.

Thanks in advance
Kevin