Re: AW: raising performance

From: Royans K Tharakan <rkt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 20:51:27 +0530 (IST)

On 04-Jul-98 Edwin Culp wrote:
> What if the squid of this machine was configured with the
> round robin DNS machines as its only parent. That could
> be a very flexable solution to cache load balancing as
> well as simple multihomed web routing.

well... I did think of it to begin with. I thought of setting
up one dummy squid frontend with 2 backend squids doing the
caching. However the reason I don't think it would work is
because if the parent gives a "MISS" then the dummy machine
has to retrieve it itself. Now assuming that we start with
3 empty cache servers... we would end up with the dummy doing
all the caching and the rest of the 2 machines doing nothing... ;-)

...only if there was a way to force the parent to get the stuff.
can someone comment on this ?

---rkt---

E-Mail: rkt@sprintrpg.com