Re: broken dnsservers

From: Chris Tilbury <cudch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 09:11:11 +0100

On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 05:31:23PM +1000, Andy Farkas wrote:

> Um, well, after following the suggestions in the FAQ (section 14) I'm still
> getting stuck dnsservers.
>
> I've fiddled around a bit, and have discovered that the problem is related
> to NIS!?!! I get this now in the cache.log:

[snip]

> Pity I can't kill ypserv and ypbind - would probably fix the problem - so
> where do I go from here??

What version of Solaris is this? Have you checked (as per the FAQ)
/usr/lib/netsvc/yp/ypstart to see if the ypserv process is being started
with the "-d" flag? If you have no SunOS 4.x clients using your NIS maps,
have you checked the yp Makefile doesn't have the "B=-b" line in it (don't
comment this out if you do have SunOS 4.x clients, though)?

> I did notice the _SQUID_NEXT_ hack in dnsserver.c which mentions something
> about yp, but when I tried it, I got an unresolved __res_getbyhostname().
> Would I have this in another library?

It's just res_gethostbyname under Solaris. I've done this to avoid using NIS
completely for DNS lookups done by squid (alas, we can't yet remove the
YP_INTERDOMAIN flag from the hosts map because we have one solitary SunOS
4.x machine which needs it).

Cheers,

Chris

--
Chris Tilbury, UNIX Systems Administrator, IT Services, University of Warwick
EMAIL: cudch+s@csv.warwick.ac.uk PHONE: +44 1203 523365(V)/+44 1203 523267(F)