Re: Getting sites to use Expires: headers

From: Michael Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 15:49:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Bill Wichers wrote:

> I was successful on a few (although lesser known) sites by threating to
> block add banners and force a certain expiry time for all items on their
> site. Upping the number of users going through my cache aided this a bit
> :-)

But when they're a lumbering bureaucracy like NASA, that probably
doesn't do much good... ;-)

> BTW, I'm curious what you're using on those radar images. I have done
> something similar for my caches to prevent the outdated images from coming
> up, but they don't catch the images all the time. Also, if you let me know
> the specific person your are bugging over there I'll add a few complaints
> to their logs for you :-).

The weather channel seems to put all their dynamic images in a
specific directory, images, which is quite helpful:

refresh_pattern/i weather.com/images/.*\.gif$ 120 20% 1440

Their site-prettification graphics that don't change are in the "pics"
directory, and can be either JPG or GIF files, and are handled by my
other rules that significantly extend the freshness dates of such
files.

I selected a 120 minute minimum time since I think that's about how
often the images are updated. Actually, now that I look at it, it
appears that 30 minutes would be a more appropriate interval, and that
I used 120 minutes for the Cassini Today site. Oops. Change that 120
to a 30.

        -Mike Pelletier.