Re: work squid in solaris 2.6 as transparent proxy

From: Leigh Porter <>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 20:36:23 +0000

Michael Fuhr wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 03:48:24PM -0500, Jose Carlos Jaramillo B. wrote:
> > I am beginning to experiment with the squid.
> > I need to know if the squid is a transparent proxy and if
> > it can operate as such in Solaris 2.6
> Building a transparent proxy requires more than just Squid. See
> the section "Transparent Caching/Proxying" in the Squid FAQ:
> I set up Squid with IP Filter[1] and transproxy[2] on Solaris 2.6 but
> had trouble with connections hanging. Has anyone else had similar
> trouble? I'm going to see how OpenBSD performs with the same setup.
> [1]
> [2]

What kind of overhead does transproxy have? I see it will start a process
a connection, how does this fare on Solaris with potentially thousands of
open ;-)

I was using Squid with transparrent proxying on a Linux box quite a while
ago without the need for transproxy (Squid sat in port 80 it's self with
thrown at it directly by IPfw). Would this work on Solaris (Still using a
Cisco to
policy-route port 80 to the cache)?

If you could pop any replies to be personally as well that would be good.

You could almost make a complete transparrent proxy solution in a box
and ship it on a few floppies - just add a PC :) Though it seems everybody
has done that now (And very well too).

Leigh Porter