URL-based ACLs

From: Andrew Daviel <andrew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:23:28 -0700 (PDT)

I can't remember if I asked this before ...

I've now got a connection via @Home at home, and
I'm running Squid for the benefit of my so-called home network,
cacheing between browsers, VRML textures etc.

@Home hav a set of N head-end caches, not running ICP,
and split webspace between them using an algorithm based on
URL length (see http://proxy.rchmd1.bc.wave.home.com:8080 .. oh, foo
.. see http://cr1001800-a.rchmd1.bc.wave.home.com/cache/home.proxy.pac,
maybe. Anyhow, it contains some JavaScript such as
function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
  var num = (1 + (url.length % num_of_proxies));
  str = ("PROXY proxy" + num + ":8080; ");
  return(str);
}

If I select one of the proxies as a default parent (N=2 for me)
I'll get a reduced hit rate on the head-end cache
compared with someone using the .pac file in Netscape. I'm
not sure whether they talk to each other, but they have (I believe)
a common parent further up the net.

Is there any way to hack Squid to include this kind of URL-based
ACL (as opposed to host-based ACL) ?
I guess, short of enabling JS in Squid, it would have to be compiled
in as C code, or a call to an external module of some kind.

Deniable unless digitally signed
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376
http://andrew.triumf.ca/andrew