Re: Optimal filesystem block sizes for caches.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:14:41 +0200

B. Richardson wrote:

> I am theorizing that if a large proportion of files are 4k or less,
> then 4k is a better choice for block size than 8k.

Sounds valid.

When most objects are small then a large blocksizes is a waste of both
disk storage and disk bandwidth.

It would be interesting to se some real world measurements as there
might be other factors affecting this I/O speed like buffer management.

My bet is that 4K is better than 8K, but I do not dare to say that 2K is
better than 4K without doing some measuring on the effect (but I would
not be suprised if it is).

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker