Re: Caching Algorithms

From: Marc Haber <Marc.Haber-lists@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:23:04 GMT

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998 13:43:15 -0600, you wrote:
>If a site tells a cache that it doesn't want to be cached or tells a cache that
>it wants to expire after a certain period of time, there is probably a good
>reason for it.

Yes, but I would vouch for a configuration option to ignore expiration
or do-not-cache-settings on a per-url-match basis. I really would like
to ignore that reason if it is only to increase the hit rate or to
transmit a new commercial (which is promptly killed by junkbuster
afterwards).

It's like the Expired:-Header in a news posting: A hint how the
article would like to be handled. But it's _my_ system, I would like
to control what happens on _my_ disk.

Greetings
Marc