Re: Caching Algorithms

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 09:40:50 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, John Cougar wrote:

> > One thing we must do to support this is to attach a Warning reply header.
> > When using a stale copy because of the site being down, Netscape _warns_
> > users that the copy is stale. Squid must do the same with an appropriate
> > "Warning:", such as "11 Revalidation failed".
>
> ... and a complementary explanatory message for the dumb end user ;-)

The presenting a message to the end user would be up to the browser. Upon
receiving a Warning header, the browser SHOULD forward the information to the
user. However, we cannot force the browser to tell user anything.

> If possible, can you look to making this stuff configurable? (yet another
> entry in the squid.conf file 8-)

Sure. Besides a "warn-code", a warning header contains a "warn-text" part
that can be virtually any text in any language..

Alex.