Re: Linux 2.0.34 and USE_POLL.

From: James H. Cloos Jr. <cloos@dont-contact.us>
Date: 01 Aug 1998 06:36:35 -0500

>>>>> "David" == David Luyer <luyer@ucs.uwa.edu.au> writes:

David> I sent a test program to squid-dev a while back which would
David> detect if the kernel had poll in it (as opposed to libc
David> emulating poll). I don't know if the test is in the configure
David> script for 1.2beta but it probably should be.

Yes it should. It is IMHO likely Alan will get Bill's 30000 fd patch
in before 2.2 is released. It has been in his ac patch series for a
while. With that many descriptors, poll(2) is essentially mandatory.

I think glibc 2.1 has (will have) a select(3) which emulates select(2)
via poll(2), but even so....

-JimC

--
James H. Cloos, Jr.