file descripters

From: Kelly Prescott <prescott@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 10:19:58 -0400 (EDT)

Could someone point me to some documentation on making more file
descripters available to squid 1.1.22. I changed my Linux kernel file
limits and recompiled the kernel, but when the squid autoconf runs, it
still says that only 256 file descripters are available. When I cat the
files in /proc/sys/.... I see that I have 1024 descripters.
Do I need to recompile glibc? Is there something else I am missing?
tia

Kelly Prescott