Re: Some advise please

From: chris <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 13:47:51 +1000 (EST)

I have been playing with squid and can't seem to get it to talk to the
proxy.des.ozemail.com.au server, I've only just started with squid and I
gess it must be 'do-able' as I've got a school mail (there own domain )
going fine and them emialing out the website off there intranet.

any hints ?

school proxy --> modem--> ozemail

        chris

> Haydn Chandler wrote:
> >
> > It can be done, i gather that the school is using private IPs. In this case
> > the connect the modem to the same machine that u are running SQUID on. This
> > will alow the machine to work 'on the outside' INTERNET and localy on their
> > INTRANET. Then just cascaide to ozemail's proxy.
>
> proxy.dse.ozemail.com.au is on a private network (192.168.32.??). The IP
> addresses assigned by ozemail to the PPP link is also on another private
> network (192.168.??.??)
> ozemail block ALL direct access to the internet. The only way through is
> via this proxy.dse.ozemail.com.au.
>

> > I successfly do this with another proxy service
> >
> > Haydn
> >
> > At 13:47 6/08/98 +1000, you wrote:
> > >HI,
> > >
> > >I have compiled/installed Squid in 3 different locations now with NO
> > >problems. (Thanks for the great application).
> > >
> > >HOWEVER....
> > >
> > >This is a primary school with a local LAN connected to the internet via
> > >a 33K6 modem. The client workstations HAVE to use the ISP's proxy server
> > >(proxy.dse.ozemail.com.au) port 8080.
> > >
> > >Any way of configurating Squid to do its job at their end of the modem ?
> > >Squid will have to forward ALL traffic to proxy.dse.ozemail.com.au and
> > >nowhere else.
> > >

> > >SCHOOL LAN ---+--+router+-+33K6
> > >modem+--/--+modem+--+proxy.dse.ozemail.com.au+----+ Internet
> > > |
> > > +
> > > Squid Proxy
> > >

> > >Unfortunally I do not know what proxy server ozemail are running.
> > Haydn Chandler - Domain Administrator
> > http://www.smallbusiness.net.au/~haydn/
> > Small Business Management & Support Services
> > http://www.smallbusiness.net.au/
> > Phone: 03 6437-2395 Fax: 03 6437-1943 e-mail: info@smallbusiness.net.au
>

                         | __ http://www.debian.org
 (chris@hislora.com.au) | /____/ /_/ /_/\/ /___/ /_/\_\