Re: squid+transparent proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 01:40:35 +0200

Evren Yurtesen wrote:

> hello,
> sorry I am sending this again but I checked that list of things which I may
> do...
> now I have some questions...
> * Deny Squid from fetching objects from itself (using ACL lists).
> well, partially works, now I am not able to use cachemgr.cgi though

Well.. you have to allow access to cachemgr before denying the Squid
machine access to itselt ;-) (see default squid.conf)

> * Apply a small patch that prevents Squid from looping infinitely
> (available from http://hem.passagen.se/hno/squid/)
> ohm, I do not know how to apply patches yet...I feel like a little bit
> stupid

1. Download the patch
2. cd squid-1.1.22
3. Apply the patch by typing
   patch -p1 </path/to/patch/file

> I am using ipfilter but not transproxyd, also my proxy works just
> fine, I could not understand why I need transproxyd ???

You need it for requests coming from clients not sending a Host: header.
httpd_accel virtual does not currently work when using ipfilter, and
Squid thinks the request is for the Squid machine and the loop begins
(esp. if Squid is running off port 80)

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squic Hacker