Testing with Echoping

From: <rstagg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:27:23 +0100

Greetings,

I have been using Echoping to test my Squid boxes for some time, with great
success. The only limitation is that it can't detect problems beyond the
cache, because it's always receiving the same URL (based on a cron job), so
it just generates cache hits.

I've looked at the source code and have found the line in http.c which
contains the dialogue for the server:
  sprintf(sendline, "GET %s HTTP/1.0\r\nUser-Agent: Echoping%s\r\n\r\n",
url, VERSION);

This all makes sense so far. My questions for the caching gurus and
experienced Squid maintainers lurking around here are:
   1) Can I add something to this line to force a refresh-miss (like
Shift-Reload in Netscape)
   2) If so, what?
   3) Would this provide a more comprehensive automatic test, covering not
just the cache but also the service beyond it?

Many thanks

Richard Stagg