Re: Hi ALL first and i have a problem ...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 14:39:40 +0200

Oner Cetin wrote:

> We are using squid as transparent proxy server and our dial up users
> says that when a site is updated (all of the site or only one page)
> they can't see the updated page.. so i thought squid doesn't refreshes
> the site how can i fix this problem
>
> note: please don't say " give less time period for refreshing in
> parameters" as an answer. ..

But it is.

If you want squid to never return stale pages then you have to tell this
to Squid by change the refresh time parameters.

refresh_pattern . 0 0% 4320

will cause Squid to validate every object on every request, except those
that has a explicit expiry time set by the origin server.

The refresh_pattern settings is a tradeoff between performance and stale
hit probablility.

This assumes that the site in question follows some very simple
guidelines when updating the pages. The most obvious one is that
modification times should never predate previously published objects on
the same URL.

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker