Re: FreeBSD & Memory Free

From: Ole Moller <olm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 17:22:20 +0200

Skrevet af dig 08:42 18-08-98 -0400,Mark Dabrowski
>This has been bugging me for a while:
>
>Squid 1.1.22 on FreeBSD 2.2.6 with 256MB RAM and 3 GIG cache_swap
>Then memory stays at aproximately 784K and squid keeps running. It can run
>for 3 days without any problems. Any ideas?
>TOP:
>
>Mem: 179M Active, 604K Inact, 31M Wired, 39M Cache, 8348K Buf, 784K Free
>Swap: 256M Total, 64K Used, 256M Free

Without being a bigtime FreeBSD kernal-hacker, I would say your system look
healthy. I run quite a few services on FreeBSD too (including a squid). I
dont know exactly why, but it seems that the OS is using whatever it got of
available memory for caching disk.

I would say that your system i healthy based on the fact that your machine
never has swapped and you have at least 70 Mb allocated for caching
purposes. If your top shows the state of your system after a couple of days
I would try increase squid's cache_size. My guess is that you (hopefully)
would see similar stats from your top in a couple of days (ie no swap-space
used, but less ram for disk caching).

Ole Møller olm@cybercity.dk, Sysadm CyberCity Internet
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.