Re: heartbeat monitoring/failover list

From: Peter Marelas <maral@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:17:32 +1000 (EST)

    squid-users@ircache.net
> Subject: Re: heartbeat monitoring/failover list
>
> On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Martin Hamilton wrote:
>
> > At the recent WWW caching workshop in Manchester [1], there was quite
> > a bit of interest in developing a free software (or should that be
> > "open source" ?) system for doing the sort of heartbeat monitoring and
> > transparent failover characterised by various Unix/NT/switch vendors
> > "high availability" and "clustering" offerings. There doesn't appear
> > to be anything out there at the moment - unless you know better!
> >
> > If you'd like to help out on this (or you know better :-), drop a
> > line to heartbeat-request@net.lut.ac.uk to join in the fun.
>
> Check out the Alteon offerings (AceSwitch, AceDirector) which have health
> check functionality. (http://www.alteon.com)
>
> lbnamed springs to mind as a free offering (Load Balanced named).
>
> RYO may be another way ;-)

The difference between High Availability implemented in the OS and
High Availability implemented in a switch is that the switch is still a
single point of failure.

The other difference is High Availability in the OS will be more beneficial
to the inet community in general if we get together and help out these guys.

Peter Marelas