Authentication and scalability

From: Williams Jon <WilliamsJon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 15:08:40 -0500

I'm looking at Squid, and I've got a couple of questions.

First, has anyone looked at using external authentication with groups to
allow different classes of access to different groups of people? I'd
probably be using either RADIUS or LDAP as the protocol to get at the
external database.

Second, how large have people made Squids? In my current environment, we're
handling some 16,000 users, averaging 1.6 million hits to the proxy a day,
transferring between 1.5 and 2.2 terabytes of data a week. Due to some
sites that use IP-based security, my last point in chain needs to be a
single address. Will Squid handle this load plus 400% (our anticipated
growth rate over the next year)?

Thanks,

Jon