Re: Question on cache digests

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 20:51:48 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Patrick Mau wrote:

> I moved from 1.2.beta22 to beta24 and forgot to enable
> cache-digests during my first compile. After I noticed that, I
> recompiled squid with cache-digests enabled.
> This cache is used as a parent for another squid that
> now complaints with:
>
> 1998/08/23 19:12:21| disabling corrupted (Forbidden) digest from

Most likely, the parent proxy replies with a "403 Forbidden" message to
child request for a digest.

> Will the parent squid rebuild it's cache-digest information?

It should. Check the store.log and you should see that a fresh digest was
stored soon after start.

> Do I have to delete all cache-objects and start with an empty
> cache to let it work again?

Absolutely not.

> It worked before the upgrade and I did not change any access
> rules so I'm pretty sure it's not a 'access permission problem'.

What could happen is that the format of the internal URL changed when you
upgraded to b24 from b22. The parent may not understand the request from
(outdated) child now. However, there could be other problems (e.g., a bug
with fetching "special" entries for siblings).

Here is what you should do to double check that. Look at the access.log of
the parent cache or cache.log of the child and extract the URL of the digest.
Then, send a request for that URL to parent cache using client program on the
child host. This way you can debug what is going on. (Remember that digests
are exchanged using regular HTTP requests, there is no special protocol in
place).

Alex.