Re: Squid not caching pages served from Netscape servers?

From: Mike Laster <mlaster@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 23:47:02 -0400

--On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 9:00 PM -0600 Alex Rousskov <rousskov@nlanr.net>
wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Mike Laster wrote:
>
>> I am running Squid 1.1.22 with pretty much a standard squid.conf. I've
>> been monitoring my logfiles and notice that many URL's don't seem to
>> cache. The common thread seems to be that all of the problem URLs are
>> served with Netscape servers. Things seem to work properly with
>> Microsoft and Apache servers.
>
> The server in question seems to return a 200 reply for any IMS request.
> Thus, you get TCP_REFRESH_MISS instead of TCP_REFRESH_HIT.
>
> You can verify that using the client program:
>
>> ./client -H "If-Modified-Since: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 02:54:42 GMT\n" -p 80
> -h www.netscape.com / | less
>
> Put the appropriate date from the 200 response for the same object.

My version of client doesn't seem to understand "-H" It understands:

Usage: ../bin/client [-ars] [-i IMS] [-h host] [-p port] [-m method] [-t
count] url
    -a Do NOT include Accept: header.
    -r Force cache to reload URL.
    -s Silent. Do not print data to stdout.
    -i IMS If-Modified-Since time (in Epoch seconds).
    -h host Retrieve URL from cache on hostname. Default is localhost.
    -p port Port number of cache. Default is 3128.
    -m method Request method, default is GET.
    -t count Trace count cache-hops

Anyway, is this a known defect with Netscape servers, or a misconfiguration
on my part? I'm still confused about the issue and how to solve it.

I just tested http://www.symantec.com, which also run
Netscape-Enterprise/2.01, and
it behaves correctly. This seems to indicate that the server isn't
implicitly broken,
just possibly misconfigured.

Maybe I'm just extremely luckly, but every single site in my daily bookmark
list seems
to have this same problem. Is this a problem that I can solve by changing
squid.conf,
or is it something that the server operators need to correct?