Re: Feature Request - vweb domains handled by another (sibling) proxy

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 09:26:47 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 30 Aug 1998, Bruce Campbell wrote:

> (this is slightly long and convuluted, basically wanting squid to answer
> to GET http://me/squid-internal-periodic/local-domains which is a list of
> domains which can be requested from this squid cache from other squid
> caches (at other ISPs), in the same format as cache-digests)

If you want ISPs "broadcast" or "push" the information to caches, then the
negotiation/update mechanism designed for Cache Digests would not work
(digests use "pull" method).

Otherwise, I think the adding a digest of domains is doable. Note that you
cannot add a digest of "patterns" or "regular expressions" though. Digest is
a one way compression with "equal" or "not equal" lookup capabilities only.

However, I would think the NetDB algorithm in Squid should already take care
of most of the problems you describe if it could be applied to fetching
misses from siblings. Perhaps a new "OK-to-fetch-misses-if-closest" flag for
cache_peer option (and corresponding miss_access rules on the other side)
would be enough? What do you think?

Alex.