Re: Feature Request - vweb domains handled by another (sibling) proxy

From: Bruce Campbell <bc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:16:54 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Duane Wessels wrote:

> Bruce Campbell writes:
> >(this is slightly long and convuluted, basically wanting squid to answer
> >to GET http://me/squid-internal-periodic/local-domains which is a list of
> >domains which can be requested from this squid cache from other squid
> >caches (at other ISPs), in the same format as cache-digests)
>
> It would be possible to implement this. I don't have time to do it
> right now.....

pseudo yay ;)

> As you pointed out, I think it suffers from some administrative problems.
> Getting admins to update their local domain list could be hard.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit slack in keeping our local
domain lists up to date.

> But for me, an important problem is, how do you pevent abuse?
>
> It is conceivable that ISP-A could put a competitor's domain (ISP-B)
> in his list, and then return blank pages, or "connection refused"
> error messages for the competitors web site.

Quite possible indeed. (didn't want to get into ethical questions upfront
;) )

However you could, instead of requesting the page off the cache that
supplied you with the domain list, get the object directly, even down to
'this cache I'll trust its list, but not the cache itself, this other
cache I'll trust its list, and I'll get objects from it as well'
selection. (peering is all well and good, but there are some isps out
there I wouldn't trust their logo decorating our toilets, let alone
trusting their cache ;) )

--==--
Bruce.

Systems Administrator