Re: Squid is becoming slow with 3000 ACL's ...

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:13:15 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Gero J. Dittmer wrote:

> The problems I had with the regex shipped with Linux were overall
> performance and the effect that is ceased matching after some time,
> effectively wiping out all ACLs.

Perhaps this should be pursued with the Linux library folk (GNU libc?) as a
matter of priority to get their regex package fixed ASAP rather than hacking
too many "exceptions" into Squid? A note in the Squid docs the recommends a
minimum level for the Linux library would then alert admins to the possible
problem with older versions of the library.

> I hacked "configure" to enforce use of GNUregex and it solved my problems.

Alternatively, can "configure" somehow detect a "broken" regex library?

dave