Re: logging behavior question

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 10:19:55 -0600

"Nottingham, Mark (Australia)" writes:

>What does squid do when a client makes an IMS request, and the content
>is stale:
>
>1.) and the origin server gives a 304
>2.) the origin server supplies new content
>
>In otherwords, there's a documented distinction between TCP_REFRESH_HIT
>and TCP_REFRESH_MISS; how is this distinction communicated during an
>TCP_IMS_MISS?

We recently eliminated the TCP_IMS_MISS log type.

When the client request includes an IMS.....

If its NOT in our cache, its logged as TCP_MISS. The HTTP status
code indictates 304, or 200, or whatever.

If it is in our cache, and it is expired, we forward the request
to the origin server. It is logged as LOG_TCP_REFRESH_MISS.
The HTTP status code indictates 304, or 200, or whatever

If it is in our cache, and it is not expired, Squid returns
either 304 or 200 and logs it with TCP_IMS_HIT.

Duane W.