Re: Access Control

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:58:42 +0800

> On Wed, Sep 16, 1998 at 07:05:05AM +0200, Steven Sporen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to implement access based on the MAC address
> > rather than the IP address?
> >
> > We use IP addresses to monitor amounts of traffic to the people in
> > our company, but some have wised up and change their IP address
> > to reflect other users traffic.
>
> I think you're attacking this in the wrong place. Remember - if someone
> can change their IP address, they can change their MAC address as well.

Yes, but it's harder. IP address changing doesn't deter anyone vaguely
technical. Mac address access moves that level up a bit.

squid-1.2beta24 under Linux can do Mac-address based ACLs but the 1.2beta24
code is buggy. I sent in a patch to make this compile and work properly under
Linux, hopefully it will be in 1.2beta25.

The code should work under OSF/1, but I haven't tested and it's #defined
out on non-Linux. It should probably work on a variety of other OS's
too.

David.