Re: squid inside firewall

From: Carlos Maltzahn <carlosm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:18:28 -0600 (MDT)

Depending on your expected load, you might want to run Squid on a
different machine than your firewall. I know of two configurations:

1. Keep the proxy inside the firewall and only allow tcp requests from
the proxy machine to go out through the fire wall.

2. Keep the proxy outside the firewall and only allow tcp requests to the
proxy port/machine to go out through the fire wall. You might also want to
disallow any requests to the proxy from outside.

The second configuration is less safe unless you have some scheme that
quickly detects whether the outside proxy machine has been hacked.

I recommend reading the book "Web Proxy Servers" by Ari Luotonen, Prentice
Hall, 1998, ISBN 0-13-680612-0. It has lots of firewall stuff in it.
O'Reilly also published a good but more general book on firewalls.

Carlos