Re: Squid as an accel on RedHat 5.1 Kernal 2.0.34

From: Dave Zarzycki <dave@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:39:17 -0700 (PDT)

What are your clients running on?

Linux has in recent kernels, started obeying RFC 2001, which can causes
Linux to appear slow when non-RFC 2001 compliant machines are used as
clients... (Yuk!). Most OSs are not RFC 2001 compliant.

Try using an older kernel, such as 2.0.27 on your server to see numbers
improve, otherwise use Linux for your webstone clients. :-)

If you need more details, feel free to e-mail me. If you are experiancing
the same problems I was, your Apache performance numbers aren't that great
either... Don't misinterperete the severity of the problem too, this
problem is very evident in low latency, high speed networks. In reality,
the internet doesn't often run that way, and linux will scream along
without a hicup.

Dave Zarzycki