Re: Squid File descriptors

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 21:06:53 +0200

Hi

> What difference will it make to increase the file descriptors (currently
> 256). Does it shows the number of simultaneous connections.

For each concurrent connection you use a number of filedescriptors. One
for the connection, and then some others for reading and writing files.

If you only have 256 filehandles per process, I guess you can handle
about... say ?90? conncurrent connections.

Compare this with a commercial cache appliance which can handle between
800 and 8000.

If you are in a largeish installation you need to increase the FDs.

Oskar

---
"Haven't slept at all. I don't see why people insist on sleeping. You feel
so much better if you don't. And how can anyone want to lose a minute -
a single minute of being alive?"				-- Think Twice