Re: "No route to host" error?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 23:58:07 +0200

Steven Bolbot wrote:

> Hi
> I've set up Squid on my linux box and am using it as a proxy server
> for my Windows 98 PC. It works fine most of the time, but when I try
> to access a URL that has "cgi-bin" in it, I get a "no route to host"
> error returned. I have squid set to cascade from my ISP's proxy as
> well.

Sounds like you are inside a firewall, or has not configured routing
correctly.

The default squid config tries to go direct on a number of cases, even
when a parent is configured (from a assumption that there is no point in
going thought a parent if the result is not cacheable).

If this is your problem then you need to tell Squid that it is inside a
firewall.

Squid 1.1:

inside_firewall none

Squid 2.0:

never_direct allow all

(a number of variations are available, depending on if you have local
domains inside the firewall or not)

---
Henrik Nordström
Sparetime Squid Hacker