Re: acl number limit? (squid-2.0)

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:52:07 -0600

Dirk Vleugels writes:

>Hi,
>
>any hard numbers how many http_access & icp_access acl's a squid-2.0
>can handle. I need to allow ~1800 aggregated networks and block

Theoretically there should be no limit. Depending on your load,
however, the process will likely chew up more CPU time as your
lists get bigger.

>everything else. 2.0 uses a splay-tree implementation, right?

splay trees are used for only certain ACL entries:

        src/dst IP addresses/networks
        src/dst domain names

large lists of these ACL types should scale pretty well. A large
URL regular-expression list does not use splay trees and probably
performs very poorly.

Duane W.