Re: can't download ftp .gz files

From: Jens Elkner <elkner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 19:04:45 +0200 (MET DST)

'Francesc Guasch wrote:'
> Hi, I got squid-2.0.RELEASE , and my client is
> Netscape-4.06 for win95
> When I try to download an ftp file that's a .tar.gz
> the file is uncompressed and showed in the screen.
>
> If I try to do a save as the command tar xzvf doesn't
> work, and it tells me it's not gzipped.
>
> When I turn off squid it works.
> I searched the archives and the FAQ and found nothing.
> I apologize if I have missed something obvious.

Actually it is the stupid netscape, which uncompresses a file, if it
is send to the client with the appropriate MIME type. So it might be
fixed for ftp downloads via squids mime.conf, but if you download
a file via http even without squid, netscape uncompresses the file
when sent from the httpd with the appropriate MIME header line.

So finally this is stupid netscape behavior and not squids fault ...
BTW: Its also a netscape bug, that it uncompresses the file but does
not remove the appropriate extension like .Z or .gz - grrr :((

Regards,
jens.

--
+---[ Jens Elkner ]------[ IVS, Otto-von-Guericke-Universitaet Magdeburg ]-+
| Am Uniplatz 5                                                            |