Re: Transparent proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 00:54:24 +0200

Irfan Akber wrote:

> Well FAQ only describes the setup where squid is running on the
> Firewall/gateway machine. I have squid on a totally separate machine and
> want to redirect web traffic to that machine from the firewall/gateway
> machine. How do I do that ?

It depends on what kind of firewall/gateway you use, and your network
topology. There is no quick "fits all" answer on how to set up
transparent proxying in all environments.

The FAQ does include instructions on how to set up one kind of
configuration where Squid is running on a dedicated transparent proxy
server machine separate from the standard network flow. In the FAQ
example this is done by using a route-map in a Cisco router to reroute
port 80 traffic to the Squid box.

Another possibility is to use transproxyd running on the firewall.

Close to every transparent proxy configuration is unique. The only quick
"always works" answer is: Use a TCP switch, but this is also the most
expensive option available.

---
Henrik Nordström
Spare time Squid hacker