TCP_SWAPFAIL_MISS, cache_digests, false hits at al.

From: Jiri Randus <Jiri.Randus@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:46:42 +0000

Hello, Squid folk...

For some time now I've been having a problem with false hits in the
caching hierarchy my cache (Squid2) is a part of. As it consists mostly
of siblings with the miss_access disabled, false hits are a real pain in
the neck, because on every false hit the users get bounced with a plain
403 Forwarding Denied error (which is, moreover, being cached on my
cache, thus effectively preventing 'reload' from saving the day).

I know there are work-arounds and that this topic has been discussed
before here on the list (like in the Cache Digest Errors thread etc),
only that the tweaks are not quite applicable for me - the cache mesh
spreads across several ISPs who are jealous about their external
bandwidth, so no miss_access is a forced policy.

The reasons for cache misses vary - from pure false-hits with
cache-digests (which I had to give up because of that) to
TCP_SWAPFAIL_MISSes after reporting ICP_HIT, plus maybe some other weird
haps. The result is however always the same - Forwarding Denied error.

So, I would like to ask the kind people here how is the transparent
error-checking request handling code coming along?... Is it an emerging,
soon to be implemented (or indeed being implemented) feature, or is it
still in a wishware phase, to be implemented some time around Squid4?

Sincerely
JAR
(bandwidth theft is to be reported at once...)