Strangeness with Squid 2.0/MSIE

From: John Sloan <johns@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:24:40 +0100 (BST)

Since we upgraded to Squid 2.0, we've had a couple of complaints about
authentication using MSIE to a specific site.

With MSIE to this site through squid 2.0, we get a 'connection closed'
error. Analysis of traces shows the cache sending a RST back to the
client.

To try to narrow down the problem, we have tried numerous things.

With any other browser software, the problem does not appear.
With Squid 1.1.21, the problem does not appear even with IE.
To a another site running a different web server, the problem does not
appear.

So it seems to be related to the combination of this site, Squid 2.0 and
IE (both 3 and 4).

Our current theory is that it might be related to persistent connections,
since that's a new feature of Squid 2.0, and persistant connections are
being requested in the headers.

The site is http://www.roadrunner.uk.com/members/ if you wish to
reproduce. You get a connection closed even if you provide incorrect
username/password.

If anyone has any insight into this problem, we would be very interested.

Thanks.

John Sloan
UK Unix Systems Administrator
UUNET Worldcom