Re: Reload Doesn't

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 03:23:56 +0200

Ron Andrews wrote:

> I am running squid version 1.2.24 without patches.
>
> Beliefs:
>
> - Squid should retrieve a new copy of a cached page if the browser
> chooses "reload".

No. "reload" does not tell Squid to fetch a new copy of the page.
"Shift-Reload" does.

> - When a browser "reloads", squid normally returns the old page
> instead of retrieving a new page.

"Reload" is

GET ...
Pragma: no-cache
If-Modified-Since: <last-modified from last request>

This tells Squid that the browser wishes to revalidate it's cached copy
with the origin server.

"Shift-Reload" is

GET ...
Pragma: no-cache

This tells Squid that the browser wishes to fetch the complete object
from the origin source without any cache validation.

In both cases are the Squid cache completely ignored. If the request
returns new information then Squid caches this.

---
Henrik Nordström
Spare time Squid hacker