RE: Filter out Sex... Sites - CPU Performance problem

From: <jason@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 09:34:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Clive Barrows wrote:

> Is this change in CPU performance expected and are there any
> suggestions to overcome the problem, e.g. by altering the
> contents of the file. I would also be grateful if someone could
> explain the additional work being carried out by Squid which
> requires so much CPU.

 Hmm. Not sure too much can be done since you where doing a regex ACL. You
may want try using just a plain dstdomain ACL, and of course enable the
splay tree (default in squid-2.0-RELEASE) algorithm(sp?)..

What are the times you are seeing to service requests? (from access.log)
Have they gone up alot since using the new ACL? This is what will have
your clients calling in to complain..

If you must stay with your regexs, then perhaps optimizing them may help
out a little bit, find yourself a copy of 'Mastering Regular Expressions'
from Oreilly..

> We have 2 caches acting as siblings for each other, each running
> Squid 1.1.22 under Solaris 2.6 on a Sun Ultra 10, with 384MB Ram
> and 2 x 2GB SCSI disks used purely for caching.

 Sounds like some good hardware that should provide you some horsepower..

 As perviously stated before, using a simple dstdomain ACL of 13,000 lines
and SPLAY_TREE set(for squid-1.1.x, default settings for squid-2.0), squid
times are 1ms to 2ms for processing the denials..

NOTE: The splay tree is only used for certain types of ACLs, I think Duane
W. posted what they where sometime within the past week, I know that it
was srcdomain, dstdomain but cannot remember the other two off the top of
my head..

Good luck..

---
Jason Ackley         jason@ackley.net