Re: Accessing virtual Web-servers with Squid v1.1.* and Squid v2.0 ...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 00:41:49 +0200

Henny Bekker wrote:

> I was wondering if Squid v1.1 knows how to deal with virtual Web-servers.

Yes, it does, when given proper requests.

> When I access a Squid v1.1.22 proxy-server the HTTP/1.1 query will be
> translated to a HTTP/1.0 query.. At least, this is what I see at our
> Web-server.. Observe the next session:

It will be translated to HTTP/1.0 + Host: header (+ a number of other
things).

> GET http://www.surfnet.nl/service-desk/diensten/ondersteunend/caching/.Cache_server_test HTTP/1.1
> host: info.nic.surfnet.nl

This is NOT a legal HTTP/1.1 request. The request URI and the Host:
header mismatches. Proxies (like Squid) make use of the absolute request
URI present in proxy request, while servers rely on the Host: header
since they only get a abs_path URI from most client/proxies.

---
Henrik Nordström
Spare time Squid hacker