Re: Accessing virtual Web-servers with Squid v1.1.* and Squid v2.0 ...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:17:53 +0200

Henny Bekker wrote:

> Right.. Does squid ignore the "host: header" on incomming
> HTTP/1.1 requests??

It depends if it is running as a proxy or as a accelerator.
When running as a proxy it does not care about the Host:
header as the request URI contains all information needed.
When running as a accelerator or transparent proxy then it
cares aboutthe Host: header as it is needed to determine
which virtual server the user is accessing.

> I see.. But how about the persistend HTTP/1.1 connections from
> a Squid v2.0 proxy to a remote HTTP/1.1 Web-server ???

Squid currently uses the HTTP/1.0+ persistent connections model:

Connection: Keep-Alive
or
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive

depending on if it is talking to a server or a peer.

> I tought it was using the HTTP/1.1 protocol specifier for it??

Squid does not yet fully support HTTP/1.1 and therefore it
can't claim it is supporting HTTP/1.1 but the transition is
in progress with more and more of HTTP/1.1 supported in each
release. But until then Squid downgrades requests to HTTP/1.0
while trying to take advantage of the parts of HTTP/1.1 that
it understands and can support.

---
Henrik Nordström
Spare time Squid hacker